Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Maddness That Cannot be Comprehended

Today has been strange. Not much for an eventful Sunday. I was looking on wikipedia today to try and find a book I had read for my composition class in high school. I finally found the book, it is called Abarat and written by Clive Barker. Looking back on the book it was a very strange setting. The world of Abarat was made of 25 islands, each one representing the hour of the day and a 25th hour island that was very mysterious. The 25th hour island is more a time and space kind of thing. Very hard for me to explain. All this made me search around wikipedia even more and eventually made my way to read some of the Cthulhu Mythos by H.P. Lovecraft. I started reading The Call of Cthulhu, it was a very interesting read. The fearful element in it is the unknown. Through most of the story we are only told about Cthulhu in very strange ways, either through obscure dreams or through artistry done during these strange dream cycles that happen between March 22nd and April 2nd. In the end of the reading I came to a conclusion is that Cthulhu is more or less a manifestation of some subconscious human emotion or thoughts of some sort. Something so bizarre and alien that when actually viewed upon, the onlooker becomes insane. It was a very interesting read gave me a different perspective to things.

No comments:

Post a Comment